With the support of Manchester Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence (JMCE) and INCA UK, an Italian welfare advice centre (supported by the charity ITACA) which has just opened an office in Manchester, we are organizing a round table on the Settled Status Proposal and the alternative “The3Million” proposal.
The event, “Brexit Citizen Rights: Settled Status and Alternative Proposal”, will be free and open to the public and will take place on the:
18th of December
at The University of Manchester from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.
During the event the speakers will analize the Government’s Settled Status proposal and the t3m’s alternative proposal for the Home Office and inform people of the work that “the3million” is doing to protect the rights of EU nationals that currently live in the UK and those who will arrive before any cut off date.
The moderator will be Dimitris Papadimitriou, Professor of Politics at The University of Manchester and Director of the Manchester JMCE and the speakers are:
1. Nicolas Hatton, Founder and Chairman of the3Million
2. Costanza De Toma, a t3m advocate who is currently liaising with Michel Barnier in Brussels to lobby the EU to safeguard the rights of EU nationals in the UK and British nationals in the EU.
3. Luke Piper, Immigration Solitor who has advised t3m on the Settled Status and assisted on the preparation of the Alternative Proposal
4. Elena Remigi (TBC), ideator of the book “In Limbo – Brexit testimonies from EU citizens in tbe UK”
5. Immigration Lawyer, from Garden Court, will assist on the current British Immigration System
Zum Anlass des Parteitages der Tories in Manchester findet eine nationale Demonstration statt – weitere Infos auf Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stopbrexitmarch/
Andriana is a Greek national who will have been resident in the UK for 10 years on 1 April 2019.
Andriana will continue to have the right to exercise her free movement rights to live and work in the UK up to the point that the UK leaves the EU. As Andriana has been living continuously in the UK for over 5 years (without an absence of more than 2 years after that 5 years), she also immediately qualifies for settled status, subject to suitability checks.
This means she can apply for settled status under the new UK scheme once it is open. Once she has received her status and document she does not need to do anything further after the UK leaves the EU. Andriana will have successfully secured her immigration status in UK law.
It’s ok if Andriana hasn’t immediately applied for settled status. ….